My interdisciplinary opinions on Hawaii’s better future
- Community Voice: The Ultimate Solution For Global Water Scarcity, Civil Beat, October 26, 2018.
- Opinions provided: Desalination has largely been abandoned in Hawaii. But that’s about to change, Hawaii News Now, Civil Beat, Thursday, June 21, 2018.
- What If The Planet’s Day Began In Hilo? (My most provocative idea for socio-economic future for Hawaii) appears in Honolulu local news media, Civil Beat, April 10, 2018.
- CEPL research on “Study uses 3D modeling to explore storm inundation risk,” UH News, February 28, 2018.
- Albert S. Kim and Hyeon-Ju Kim, Ocean Thermal Energy Conversion (OTEC): the Past, Present, and Prospective (on-going).
- Albert S. Kim (book editor), Nonequilibrium Particle Dynamics. InTechOpen (ongoing).
- Albert S. Kim (book editor), Advanced Computational Fluid Dynamics for Emerging Engineering Processes – Eulerian vs. Lagrangian, InTechOpen (ongoing).
- Albert S. Kim and Hyeon-Ju Kim, Coupling Algorithm of Computational Fluid Dynamics and Dissipative Hydrodynamics (submitted 2019/2/9).
- Albert S. Kim and Hyeon-Ju Kim, Fundamentals of Irreversible Thermodynamics for Coupled Transport, InTechOpen (submitted 2019/2/6).
- Sangwoo Shin and Albert S. Kim, Chapter 5, “Temperature Effects on Osmosis“, in Osmotically Driven Membrane Processes – Approach, Development and Current Status (book title) edited by Hongbo Du, Audie Thompson and Xinying Wang (ISBN 978-953-51-5688-8), InTechOpen (March 28, 2018).
- Albert S. Kim and Hyeonju Kim, Chapter 2, “Dissipative Hydrodynamics of Granular Materials” in Granular Materials (book title), edited by Michael G. Sakellariou, InTechOpen (September 6, 2017).
- Albert S. Kim and Hyeonju Kim, Chapter 1, “Membrane Thermodynamics for Osmotic Phenomena” in Desalination (book title) edited by T. Yonar, InTechOpen (August 30, 2017)
- Albert S. Kim, Chapter 1. “Bias Monte Carlo Methods in Environmental Engineering” in Applications of Monte Carlo Methods in Biology, Medicine and Other Fields of Science edited by Charles J. Mode, ISBN 978-953-307-427-6. (February 28, 2011)
- Albert S. Kim, Joshua Lelemia Irvine. interPhaseDiffusionFoam. 2018, Available from: https://github.com/enphysoft/interPhaseDiffusionFoam, doi:https://zenodo.org/badge/latestdoi/154744949
- Hydrodynamics of a long flexible chain as connected spherical beads
- Dissipative Hydrodynamics coupled with OpenFOAM CFD simulations
- Mesh Generation Strategy for Predicting Hollow Fiber Membrane Distillation Performance at an Industrial Scale (in preparation)
- Computational Fluid Dynamics of a Corrugated Plate-and-Frame Heat Exchanger used for Ocean Thermal Energy Conversion, submitted Sat Apr 20 11:38:28 HST 2019
(2019 or accepted)
-  Joshua L. Irvine and Albert S. Kim, Hydraulic design perspectives of bioswale vegetation layers, accepted in 2018/12/19.
-  Coupled transport phenomena during initial storm-induced runoff in a biofiltration swale process: a CFD study using OpenFOAM, Desalination and Water Treatment, 140 (2019) 103-117.
-  Joshua Lelemia Irvine and Albert S. Kim, Understanding bioswale as a small water and wastewater treatment plant: A theoretical review, Desalination and Water Treatment, 135 (2018) 1–15.
-  Tyler Tsuchida, Joshua Lelemi Irvine, Siufung Tang, Jamie Nishikawa, Leighton Lum, Albert S. Kim, Sewer Chamber Design under Critical Conditions using Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD), Desalination and Water Treatment, 108 (2018) 1-14. https://doi.org/10.5004/dwt.2018.22019
-  Woonghee Lee, Peter K. Kang, Albert S. Kim and Seockheon Lee, Impact of surface porosity on water flux and structural parameter in forward osmosis, Desalination, 439 (1) (2018) 46-57. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2018.03.027
-  Albert S. Kim, Man Hin Leung, Jung-Hyun Moon, Sung Woo Kim, Fortran 90 programming with physical unit annotations, Research Inventy: International Journal of Engineering and Science, 7 (6) (2017), 11- 21 PDF.
-  Albert S. Kim, Ho-Saeng Lee, Deok-Soo Moon, Hyeon-Ju Kim, Self-adjusting, combined diffusion in direct contact and vacuum membrane distillation, Journal of Membrane Science, 543 (2017) 255–268. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.memsci.2017.08.059
-  Albert S. Kim, Review of Basics Reverse Osmosis Process Modeling: A new combined fouling index proposed, Membrane Journal, 27 (4) (2017) 291-312. PDF
-  Peter K. Kang, Woonghee Lee, Seockheon Lee, Albert S. Kim, Origin of structural parameter inconsistency in forward osmosis models: a pore-scale CFD study, 421 (1) (2017) 47-60, Desalination, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2017.05.018
-  Albert S. Kim, Ho-Saeng Lee, Deok-Soo Moon, Hyeon-Ju Kim, Statistical theory of vapor transport through hollow fiber membranes in vacuum membrane distillation: Effusion analogy, Desalination, 410 (2017) 77-90. Link
-  Ho Ji, Mi-Yeon Choi, Ho Saeng Lee, Hyeon-Ju Kim, Albert S. Kim, Vacuum membrane distillation for deep sea water: experiments and theory, Desalination and Water Treatment, 58 (2017) 344-350.
-  Albert S. Kim, Seo Jin Ki, Hyeon-Ju Kim, Research Perspective of Membrane Distillation: Multi-scale and Multi-physics Phenomena, Desalination and Water Treatment, 58 (2017) 351-359.
-  Albert S. Kim, Min Soo Park, Ji Hee Min, Computational Fluid Dynamics Simulation of LiquiCel Membrane using OpenFOAM, Desalination and Water Treatment, 58 (2017) 360-367.
-  Albert S. Kim, Ho-Saeng Lee, Deok-Soo Moon, Hyeon-Ju Kim, Performance control modeling on adsorption desalination using initial time lag (ITL) of individual beds, Desalination 369 (2016) 1-16. Full Text
-  Albert S. Kim, Hyeon-Ju Kim, Ho-Saeng Lee, and Sangwon Cha, Dual-use open-cycle ocean thermal energy conversion using multiple condensers for adjustable power generation and seawater desalination, Renewable Energy, 85 (2016) 344-358. PDF in RG.
-  Yongbok Lee, Youngjin Kim, Albert S. Kim, Seungkwan Hong, Evaluation of membrane-based desalting processes for RO brine treatment, Desalination and Water Treatment (abstract PDF link), 57 (16) (2016) 7432-7439
-  Albert S. Kim and Seung Won Lee, Intrinsic Flux inequality of Forward Osmosis (FO) and Pressure-retarded osmosis (PRO) processes, Membrane Journal, 25 (2015) 367-372.
-  Albert S. Kim, Weyong Oh, Ho-Saeng Lee, Sangwon Cha, and Hyeon-Ju Kim, Perspective of vacuum membrane distillation in ocean thermal energy conversion, IDA Journal of Desalination and Water Reuse, 7(1-4) (2015) 17-24. Full Text in RG.
-  Seo Jin Ki, Tak Sugimura, and Albert S. Kim, OpenMP-accelerated SWAT simulation using Intel C and FORTRAN compilers: development and benchmark, Computers and Geoscience, 75 (2015) 66-72. URL. Full Text in RG.
-  Seo Jin Ki, Hyeon-Ju Kim, and Albert S. Kim, Big Data Analysis of Hollow Fiber Direct Contact Membrane Distillation (HFDCMD) for Simulation-based Empirical Analysis, Desalination, 355 (1) 56-67 (2015). URL. Full Text in RG.
-  Albert S. Kim, Cylindrical Cell Model for Direct Contact Membrane Distillation (DCMD) of Densely Packed Hollow Fibers, Journal of Membrane Science, 455 (2014) 168–186. URL. Full Text in RG.
-  Albert S. Kim and Sung Woo Kim, Performance analysis of forward osmosis processes from the integral equation theory, Desalination and Water Treatment, 51 (25-27) (2013) 5289-5297. URL PDF (proof)
-  Xiaoxiao Zhang, Albert S. Kim, and David Garmire, Particle Dynamics at the transition between inertial and Dean force dominant regimes, Chemical Engineering Science, 98 (2013) 69-76. PDF in RG.
-  Brent C. Houchens, Paul M. Boyle, and Albert S. Kim, Simulation of Colloidal Fouling by Coupling a Dynamically Updating Velocity Profile and Electric Field Interactions with Force Bias Monte Carlo Methods for Membrane Filtration, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 399 (2013) 77-86. PDF, URL
-  Albert S. Kim, Two-interface model for predicting the performance of direct contact membrane distillation, Journal of Membrane Science, 428 (2013) 410-424. PDF
-  En-Joo Jeon, Albert S. Kim, and Yong Taek Lee, Pervaporation of butanol/water mixtures using siloxane polymer/ceramic membranes, Desalination and Water Treatment, 48 (2012)17-26, PDF, URL.
-  Albert S. Kim and Seok-Tae Kang, Micro-hydrodynamics simulation of single-collector granular filtration, Chemistry Letters, 41 (10) (2012) 1288-1290. PDF
-  Albert S. Kim, Constraint dissipative hydrodynamics (HydroRattle) algorithm for aggregate dynamics, Chemistry Letters, 41 (10) (2012) 1285-1287. PDF
-  Albert S. Kim, Dissipative hydrodynamics (DHD) of rigid spherical particles, Chemistry Letters, 41 (10) (2012) 1128-1130. PDF
-  Yong Shi, Yong Taek Lee, and Albert S. Kim, Knudsen diffusion through cylindrical tubes of varying radii, Transport in Porous Media, 93 (3) (2012) 517-541, PDF URL.
-  Rong Yuan and Albert S. Kim, Study on fluid flow passing through a porous media, Acta Analysis Functionalis Applicata, 13 (4) (2011) 357-365. PDF
-  Yong Shi, Yong Take Lee, and Albert S. Kim, Permeability calculation of sphere-packed porous media using dissipative particle dynamics, Desalination and Water Treatment, 34 (2011) 277-283. PDF
-  Permeate Flux Analysis of Direct Contact Membrane Distillation (DCMD) and Sweep Gas Membrane Distillation (SGMD), Membrane Journal, 21(3) (2011) 236-246.
-  Albert S. Kim and Yong Taek Lee, Laminar flow with injection through a long dead-end cylindrical porous tube: Application to a hollow fiber membrane, AIChE Journal, 57 (8) (2010) 1997-2006. PDF website.
-  Ying Guo, Yong Shi, James E. T. Moncur, Yong Taek Lee, Kyoung Wan Kim, and Albert S. Kim, Analysis of Full-Scale Membrane Filtration Processes using Econophysics and Econometrics, Journal of Membrane Science, 365 (1-2) (2010) 170-179. PDF SciDir
-  Yanling Li, Nam Vu, and Albert S. Kim, 3-D Monte Carlo Simulation of Particle Deposition on a Permeable Surface, Desalination, 249 (2009) 416-422. PDF SciDir
-  Albert S. Kim, Alison E. Contreras, Qilin Li, and Rong Yuan, Fundamental Mechanisms of Three-Component Combined Fouling with Experimental Verification, Langmuir, 25 (2009) 7815-7827. PDF ACSonline
-  Alison E. Contreras, Albert S. Kim, and Qilin Li, Combined Fouling of Nanofiltration Membranes: Mechanisms and Effect of Organic Matter, Journal of Membrane Science, 327 (2009) 87-95. PDF SciDir SCOPUS
-  Albert S. Kim and Yuewei Liu, Critical Flux of Hard Sphere Suspensions in Crossflow Filtration: Hydrodynamic Force Bias Monte Carlo Simulations, Journal of Membrane Science, 323 (2008) 67-76. PDF SciDir
-  Albert S. Kim and Yuewei Liu, Irreversible Chemical Potential and Shear-Induced Diffusion in Crossflow Filtration. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 47 (2008) 5611–5614. PDF SciDir WebofKnowledge
-  Albert S. Kim, Permeate Flux Inflection due to Concentration Polarization in Crossflow Membrane Filtration: A Novel Analytic Approach, European Physical Journal E – Soft Matter, 24 (4) (2007) 331-341. PDF Springer ChemPort
-  Aileen N. L. Ng, and Albert S. Kim, A Mini-Review of Modeling Studies on Membrane Bioreactor (MBR) Treatment for Municipal Wastewaters, Desalination, 212 (2007) 261-281. PDF SciDir SCOPUS
-  Albert S. Kim and Aileen N.L. Ng, Hydraulic Permeability of Polydispersed Cake Layers: An Analytic Approach, Desalination, 207 (2007) 261-281. PDF SciDir SCOPUS
-  Albert S. Kim and Rong Yuan, Cake Resistance of Aggregates Formed in the Diffusion-Limited-Cluster-Aggregation (DLCA) Regime, Journal of Membrane Science, 286 (2006) 260-268. PDF SciDir SCOPUS
- [16 Albert S. Kim, Huaiqun Chen, and Rong Yuan, EPS biofouling in Membrane Filtration: An Analytic Modeling Study, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 303 (2006) 243-249. PDF SciDirSCOPUS
-  Huaiqun Chen and Albert S. Kim, Diffusive Tortuosity Factor of Solid and Soft Cake Layers: A Random Walk Simulation Approach, Journal of Membrane Science, 279 (2006) 129-139. PDF SciDirSCOPUS
-  Huaiqun Chen and Albert S. Kim, Prediction of Permeate Flux Decline in Crossflow Membrane Filtration of Colloidal Suspension: A Radial Basis Function Neural Network Approach, Desalination, 192 (2006) 415-428. PDF SciDir SCOPUS
-  Jim C. Chen and Albert S. Kim, Monte Carlo Simulation of Colloidal Membrane Filtration: Principal Issues for Modeling, Advances in Colloid and Interface Science, 119 (2006) 35-53. PDF SciDir (Ranked 23rd (January – March, 2006) among the latest ScienceDirect TOP 25 Hottest Articles within Advances in Colloid and Interface Science) SCOPUS
-  Jim C. Chen, Menachem Elimelech, and Albert S. Kim, Monte Carlo simulation of colloidal membrane filtration: Model development with application to characterization of colloid phase transition, Journal of Membrane Science, 255 (2005) 291-305. PDF SciDir SCOPUS
-  Albert S. Kim and Rong Yuan, Hydrodynamics of an ideal aggregate with quadratically increasing permeability, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 285 (2005) 627-633. PDF SciDirSCOPUS
-  Albert S. Kim and Rong Yuan, A new model for calculating specific resistance of aggregated colloidal cake layers in membrane filtration processes, Journal of Membrane Science, 249 (2005) 89-101. PDF SciDir SCOPUS
-  Kyung-Jin Chung, Huaiqun Chen, and Albert S. Kim, A new model for forecasting inundation damage within watersheds – An artificial neural network approach, Journal of the Korean Society of Hazard Mitigation, 5(2) (2005) 9-16.
-  Jim C. Chen and Albert S. Kim, Brownian dynamics, molecular dynamics and Monte Carlo modeling of colloidal systems, Advances in Colloid and Interface Science, 112 (2004)159-173. PDF SciDir (Ranked 13th (October – December, 2004 and January – March, 2005) and 14th (April – June, 2005) among the latest ScienceDirect TOP 25 Hottest Articles within Advances in Colloid and Interface Science) SCOPUS
-  Albert S. Kim and Keith D. Stolzenbach, Aggregate formation and collision efficiency in differential settling, Journal of Colloids and Interface Science, 271 (2004) 110-119. PDF SciDirLinkSCOPUS
-  Albert S. Kim, Chanho Park and Si-Hwan Park, Development of web-based engineering numerical software (WENS) using MATLAB: Application to linear algebra, Computer Applications in Engineering Education, 11 (2003) 67-74. PDF InterSci
-  Albert S. Kim and Eric M.V. Hoek, Cake structure in dead-end membrane filtration: Monte Carlo simulation, Environmental Engineering Science, 19 (2002) 373-386. PDF Liebert Online SCOPUS
-  Eric M.V. Hoek, Albert S. Kim and M. Elimelech, Influence of crossflow membrane filter geometry and shear rate on colloidal fouling in reverse osmosis and nanofiltration separations, Environmental Engineering Science, 19 (2002) 357-372. PDF Liebert Online SCOPUS
-  Albert S. Kim and Keith D. Stolzenbach, The permeability of synthetic fractal aggregates with realistic three-dimensional structure, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 253 (2002) 315-328. PDF SciDirLink SCOPUS
-  Albert S. Kim, Subir Bhattacharjee and M. Elimelech, Shear-induced reorganization of deformable molecular assemblages: Monte Carlo studies, Langmuir, 17 (2001) 552-561. PDF ACS OnlineSCOPUS
-  Subir Bhattacharjee, Albert S. Kim and Menachem Elimelech, Concentration polarization of interacting solute particles in cross-flow membrane filtration, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 212 (1999) 81-99. PDF SciDirLink SCopus